Friday 6 January 2012

b-art-er

I'm beginning to think about a project that I'd like to spend some time with.

Having interest in the way we value and interpret value, combined with the ways we interact with art has lead to me thinking about bartering...

Barter: to trade by exchange of commodities rather than by the use of money.

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/barter)

How would it be if artists were to barter with their own works amongst themselves? What types of exchange would occur? How would we feel about it? How would we compare works? What judgements would be made?

It is almost impossible to read a paper or watch the news without encountering some reference to the recession/credit crunch/eurozone crisis/high rates of unemployment... the economic situation in Europe/USA becomes concerning, relevant and something that we are supposed to contend with. I would like to get my head around the stock market, or understand exchange rates, or have more knowledge so that I could have an opinion on decisions made by politicians about which way to go forward. I suppose that is partly why b-art-er is on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment